Handlebar Moustache Survey by Ian Mitchell Scouser
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a moustache/facial hair on and off since I left school, recently I have had a beard like everybody else but I wanted to be a bit different, I seen a picture of Nick Wooster in a magazine with more tash than beard it looked cool, after growing the tash more and trimming the beard. I liked the look of the moustache when I could curl up the ends, so I shaved the beard off. I have a beard shave once a week, the handlebar is coming up to five months old.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
It’s a moustache that stands out from the normal tash.
As far as I know no ancestors have a handlebar.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Most people like it; the Mrs. doesn’t really like it but I hoping it will grow on her, she likes telling everybody how much I love it.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
When I’ve just shaved my stubble off my chin everybody thinks the moustache looks false.
I haven’t had any strange comments but I’ve had funny looks and grins.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Since growing the handlebar moustache I’ve become more confident and I curl the ends when I’m thinking or I want a reaction from the person I’m talking to.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Everybody should be different, I think looking different gives you confidence, I’ve had permed hair in my time, ear ring ,tattoos so growing a handlebar makes me stand out and be noticed.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, I don’t think I’ll grow it extreme or long enough to enter any contests.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I would say you’ve only got one life so you should be able to look anyway you want.
Most men are envious of the handlebar moustache because it takes time and bottle to carry off the look.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve used 3 different waxes so far and even tried hairspray combed through the tash.
My first was Fathers moustache wax, which had a great aroma and was good when the handlebar new. I’ve recently use lucky tiger wax and Clubman’s moustache wax both give you more control, but the fathers wax gives a more natural look and the smell is really manly.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It makes you more distinguished, confident and stand out, I’ve noticed not a lot of men have the confidence to sport the handlebar moustache, I haven’t seen any one where I live with one and I’ve recently been to Paris for a short break thinking I would see the French handlebar style moustache—no such look, so it seems the handlebar moustache is quite unique.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I know I could grow it back within a 3 month period so I have that to fallback on, but you really get attached to it, it needs a trim now and I keep putting it off in case I ruin the look of it. Maybe a trip the barbers will relieve my fears.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
When I was in Paris recently I acquired a key ring with a handlebar on it.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I’ve look at a few web sites, hirsuteforhappiness.com is quite good, but your web site seems to be the best, I really like the handle moustache survey and looking at the old and new filled in surveys.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My handlebar is more or less the same as my hair—grey. I would have loved to have grown one when I was younger and had darker hair. I wouldn’t dye it now.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
It covers all aspects to do with your handlebar moustache, how to trim the moustache without it looking as though you have just trim it would be a good subject to cover or recommendations for good barbers who specialised in facial hair from your survey answers would be useful.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a sample room operative/cleaner for a plastics film company. It’s had no effect on my coworkers.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Yes, I can now fly and talk with a posh accent and talk about spitfires and world war II. LOL.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I cut up my food into small pieces and eat in a more controlled manner now. I also wipe my lips more often with a napkin. The handlebar is not going anywhere because of messy eating.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I haven’t yet, but I might darken it for fancy dress, a Frenchman or maybe Luigi from the Mario brothers or a RAF pilot.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Just curling up the ends is a good look for me.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Liverpool, England, UK. Age 55