Handlebar Moustache Survey by Hunter Beezley
Thank you, Hunter C. Beezley! Your moustache suits you.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
So far, it’s been about 8 months. My facial hair grows slowly though, so isn’t as impressive as 8 months sounds. Never had a mustache before; I never really thought about it.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I was overseas doing some construction with a group of friends for local organization in Peru for a week. A friend noticed that I had not shaven for a few days and jokingly suggested that I grow a mustache. And I haven’t shaven since.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
A lot of people intentionally tried to keep it to themselves that I was looking like a little kid who didn’t know that I needed to shave my lip stubble. As someone who looks very young for my age and having such fine hair that grows so slowly, it looked pretty bad for the first two months. My fiancé was actually pretty supportive of it, even when it looked bad. She simply just didn’t care what I did with my facial hair and encouraged me to keep it growing if I wanted.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I hear so many on daily basis. Most people say something like, “nice handlebars! I like that!” It’s fun when older people think it’s amusing and often those people say something like, “Wow, I haven’t seen someone do that style in a long time!”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Makes me feel a little more like my age I suppose. I look young, but without a mustache I look much, much younger. It also just makes feel automatically fun.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Initially, the humor of it.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Nope. Not too sure if I could compete. There are some really good mustaches out there. We’ll see though, maybe one day.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I actually had someone once say to me seriously, “You look like a pedophile.” I didn’t know what to say to that so I just smiled and said, “Yeah”. Which I realize is a weird response, but it throws people for a loop and generally can’t really say anything else negative towards that.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I actually have never been able to get my hands on any kind of mustache wax. I would love to try that out, but I have no idea where I can locally get some. I never heard of using glue until this blog, may be that will be what I try next? I currently use – believe it or not – hairspray. I spray just small amounts at a time directly onto my fingertips work it into the hair until it gets tacky, and then style it however it can. It’s been working well for a while, but I’m starting to realize that the hairs are getting a little to long for that; I need something that holds better.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It’s a good way for a man to have fun in a very unique way. Where I work, there are three others with mustaches and so it’s kind of cool because none of our mustaches look the same, but we each have this thing in common. It’s like we’re a part of this club or something.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Sometimes I can be self-conscious about it. Sometimes I think it doesn’t look good enough on me to keep it. But then, I really love how it’s become a part of me and who I am. I was actually seriously considering cutting off for my wedding, thinking I would look nicer; however, I can’t help but think about all the time I’ve put into growing it and I think I would eventually regret it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I don’t have any links unfortunately because most of my mustache branded stuff was given to me as a gift. One of my favorites is a pint glass that has a black handlebar mustache on it.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
I unfortunately don’t know of any.
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
I unintentionally participated in Movember. I wish I could say I grew my Stache for that event, but that would be a lie. A lot of people asked me during that month if that was the case. I often just said I didn’t even know that people did that.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Still new to the site, so not sure at this point.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
It doesn’t interfere so much. Of course, it’s loaded with product to keep it styled, that can be weird to kiss, but generally I give the mustache a good wash if I think it could get in the way.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It was once prophesied that I will one day win a bare knuckle boxing match simply by stroking a curl of my mustache.
19. Would you share your location?
I live in Nyack, NY but I’m originally from Hattiesburg, MS.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
What’s the biggest struggle when growing your stache for the first time? Mine would be learning how to trim it.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Some days, I feel like my mustache is comical in itself. When I try to style it comically, it’s usually the same as any other day.
You may enjoy these related posts: