Handlebar Moustache Survey by Hartsfield of Chicago
Click image to enlarge
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve been wearing a HB for approximately six months. During my later high school years and a bit thereafter I use to wear a moustache but not a HB.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I’m not really certain where my desire to wear a handlebar moutsache stems from. I can’t recall ever seeing any of my relatives sporting a handlebar, though the simple moustache seemed to have been in abundance in my family.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
No strong reactions that I can think of, but there does seem to be a general feeling of approval.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/ behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
My handlebar really does give me a heightened sense of my maleness. I like that because it does so in a way that’s not brutish but rather elegant.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Perhaps it’s artist in me. I am a graphic designer and incorporated prominently in my work is my love of artistically rendered faces.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I don’t have a response for them. Aesthetic sensibility is a personal thing. Eh? Anyway, I’ve seen HB wearers that look absolutely stupid to my eye. So who am I to say?
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Right now I primarily use Clubman wax. I like using the black wax to tone down the grey. I also use Got2B when I really want a firm hold.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Depends on the man I guess. But in general I think it can add a classy touch, especially if the wearer tends toward being a classy guy anyway.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Not gonna happen.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
More grey than on my head.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
That subject is too painful for me to discuss.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a graphic designer, so I don’t think that my customers find it odd. I tend to not follow the crowd very closely anyway.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I prefer a large curl. Sometimes I style it with a looser curl and fanned ends.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Chicago Ill. 62