Handlebar Moustache Survey by Han Whitesides of SF
Great pic. Thanks to Han Whitesides for doing the survey.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had moustaches on and off for about 3 years. Couldn’t get a decent one going until I was around 23. I’ve officially had a handlebar for maybe a month.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
Natural evolution of being a moustache enthusiast. It grows and then you play with it.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Friends are supportive. I feel like I’ve spent so much time with it that I have trademarked it to my personality in that Tom Selleck-y sort of way. My girlfriend has mostly known me with it, so she’s been adamant of its existence and would throw a fit if I shaved it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I got a lot of the standard mustache comments over time; you know, the “you look like Freddy Mercury”, “you look like Johnny Depp”, “you look like Daniel Day Lewis”. Since I’ve gone handlebar I’ve gotten “You look like a boxer from the 20’s”, “you look like Wyatt Earp”, etc.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Sure. It’s a charming and funny aesthetic. I run with it. Accents and characters work well.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
An affinity for all things old-timey.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, but I don’t oppose.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I don’t know. It hasn’t happened yet. I’ll find a really suitable Mark Twain quote to respond with.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Been using a pomade and glue stick mix. Haven’t tried any official moustache products yet. But I’m new to growing the bars.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes him look like a man. But, it really depends on who’s wearing it. It could say “I’m a hipster”, it could say “I’m a tough guy”. Everyone rocks it in their own way.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Hard question. I guess the love of a beautiful woman, but as of right now I already have that and she digs the way it tickles.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
No. I think if you have a handlebar moustache, and you walk into the room wearing a handlebar moustache t-shirt, with the money you took out of your moustache wallet while also buying moustache magnets for your fridge; a little much, right? But I do appreciate that there’s enough moustache love out there to make those products.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
This one is good.
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
Movember for sure. Stache culture uniting with a purpose.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Seems like it’s got it all down.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
Affected it well so far. I’ve always said “If a girl doesn’t like the stache, she’s not my kind of girl”. Which isn’t completely true. I would bend that rule for sure, but I wouldn’t like it. Kissing is great. I’d say eating chowder is a bigger issue.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Yes. I can now summon the ghost of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. He is very nice, we don’t speak the same language, but he seems to have taking a liking to my cat.
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
How about: Who is your favorite man in history to roll with the handlebar?
Answer: I don’t know. Stalin?
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
No. But I’m working on an idea for a turn of the century Han Solo. Stay tuned.
You may enjoy these related posts: