Handlebar Moustache Survey by “Gumshoe” of Burbank
The Great Moustached Gumshoe!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve been wearing it like this for almost 3 years now. As a child, I always drew men with hats & handlebar mustaches. Always. I intrinsically believed there was no truer look for a man. It’s odd that I waited till my 40’s.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
It started one day while playing spies with my son who was 4 at the time. He had a fake mustache on & I just had my regular ol’ goatee. He said “You don’t really look like a spy like that. The sides have to go up!” Realizing how right he was, I put some wax in it (I had bought a tube, planning on experimenting…) & saw the ME I was meant to be.
I have a great family portrait from the turn of the century of my Great-Great Grandparents, their [many] adult children & their kids (My grandmother at 4!). There’s some great mustaches under those Ukrainian noses.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I’m completely blown away by the number of compliments I get from strangers. If I had harnessed this kind of power when I was single, I can’t guarantee I would have only used it for good. Best of all, my wife loves it. She thinks it’s hot.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
At a gas station, a woman exclaimed “Wow! I wish I could do that!”
A woman once asked if she could touch it. I asked her to define “it”.
Children often just stare…
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I enjoy it. It brings me a definite satisfaction. There are good mustache days & bad mustache days, though. 99% great, really.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Beyond what I’ve already stated, I would have to add that I am a Magician member of the Magic Castle. There’s a connection there.
I’m also a musician, too.
My W-2 says Technician… Engineers are allowed to have wild hair, too.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I think it only takes courage to do it if you feel odd or silly with it. It takes no courage to go out your front door when happy with how you look. What would I say to someone that said I looked silly? I’m not sure. Maybe I’d smile & say something like “You think so? I think you’d look fantastic with one!”
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I started with Rite-Aid’s own brand. It’s very supple & comes with a nice little comb. But you’ve got to style it quick, as it starts to clump up. I also use Clubman. It has more holding power than the Rite-Aid & smells pleasant. That’s all I’ve tried. I’d like to try others.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Well, facial hair is extremely masculine, like breasts are very feminine. It has given me an approachable-ness that I don’t think I had before. People are comfortable bringing issues to me more than before. The mustache always looks like it’s smiling. How bad can the guy underneath be?
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I like it, but it’s attached to me more than I to it. All it would take for me to cut it off is if I stopped liking it. Then chop!
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Yeah. I have never purchased any but have acquired some.
When I went to my sons Valentines party in his 1st grade class, all the students were wearing fakies & wanted to let me know that they looked like me.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
Oddly enough, I never looked before today…
I got here from Harry’s Favorite Moustache Wax.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It’s a good match. It has some blonde, brown,& red in there. My wife is a stylist & twice has colored my goatee. That was like 10 years ago.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife loves it. No interference.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m an Engineer for Post Production. I get taken seriously… Like, “The guy with the mustache says it’s so. It must be so!” Which is very helpful, as I have to guide people with technical solutions every day. So it’s nice to have that vote of confidence without having to say much.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
It’s only a problem when it’s unwaxed. Sneezing poses more problems than eating, for me anyway.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Sure. I’m a fire-eater. For that I do the Dali to get it as far away from the flames as possible.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
The pic I sent is the normal look for me.
Sometimes I sport what I call the Gunslinger. It’s less curl. Less wax.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
What mustache related inventions have you devised?
I was working on sneeze-strip to wear when I have a cold…
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Burbank, California. 44 Years.
You may enjoy these related posts: