Handlebar Moustache Survey by Greg of PA
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I grow a goatee every year, starting at Christmas and usually shaving for Easter–winter warmth? I was a late bloomer with facial hair (not having to shave daily until I was 30), and mostly it is to take inventory on the state of hair affairs on my mug. I have never had a stand-alone moustache. I have had my current handlebar for only a month.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
My father has had a moustache since he was in his mid-thirties.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Since I routinely grow a goatee, no one was surprised that I had a grown a significant moustache. It wasn’t until I started curling it, that the comments began to flow. My wife is not a fan, but then she says that it’s better than me shaving my head (which I have done).
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
The handlebar is very new for me, but already I have gotten a fair share of comments: 70s Porn Star….Villain….Dr. Zhivago
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Having any facial hair can be a very masculine statement. Since I had none in my teens and twenties, its feels very manly for me to now be able to grow a stache, and an awesome one at that (if I do say so myself).
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not. I was really inspired by my friend David Sacks who is currently photographing competitive bearding in the U.S. His photographs are being complied into a book. Do I have what it takes to get into his book? (You can check out his website at www.davidsacks.com. There is a beard section).
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Haters gonna hate
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Since my handlebar is so new, I have not tried any of the moustache waxes mentioned here (but will be looking for something with stiff hold). For my goatee, I have always used Murrays Beeswax–Black (in the African hair care section) to smooth the wiry hairs. Now, I comb a little Murrays into my stache, and the more on the bar ends adding a little Got2b Ultra Glue to form the curls. I am interested in trying Elmers gluestick and more traditional waxes.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Gets him noticed.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I know that I will be clean shaven by March, so not too attached, but I think that I will grow it back for sure.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
No. I have been looking at Tumblr sites about moustache culture
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My moustache is a odd mix of silver and black, just like my head hair. I have shocks of silver in both the head and the beard. I wish that I could have grown it when my hair was solid black. I may color it all dark before I shave in the spring to see.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I love reading the surveys–keep ‘em coming.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Although my wife is NOT ASSUMED, it hasn’t changed anything in that department. I think that it has enhanced it in a way.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am an architect. I have to be careful that I don’t look like a comic book character. My dress is more conservative with the handlebar.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It enhances my power to attract (comments and stares).
19. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Pennsylvania, 50 years of age.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Not yet, but Halloween is yet to come.