Handlebar Moustache Survey by Gerry in Ottawa, Canada
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had the handlebar for about a year and a half. I have almost always had some form of facial hair since being able to. The beard would come and go, but my moustache was to some degree almost always there.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
I always thought about it, but didn’t think my moustache was thick enough / good enough. Grew a horsehoe for a wrestler Halloween outfit in 2013, then trimmed it to start a handlebar after that.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Most have been positive. They think it’s cool and know that it’s just me being me.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Mostly comparisons to the Monopoly guy…
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, and sense of self?
I love the look, especially styled. I feel great with it.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I am very much an extrovert. Love being the centre of attention, so drawing attention with a styled handlebar is perfect for me.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I entered one, the first one here in Ottawa, Canada in November last year. Won first in styled moustache and Best in Show.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I just say we all have to be ourselves. If you want a stache, grow it. If you question whether yours can become a handlebar, just remember what I have learned: It’s hair, it grows. That’s what hair does. You just need to be patient.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use wax regularly. I have several kinds in my cabinet, including Squire Wood’s, my own line of firm hold wax that I launched last fall.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think it gives a very classy look and adds personality.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I am quite attached. I had cancer a few years ago and lost all hair, including all but a very fine trace of my moustache. Right now, a return of that is the only thing I see coming between me and my ‘stache.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have several items: a barbecue apron, an antique moustache cup, moustache magnets, a moustache calendar, and a moustache USB key…
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
A great Facebook group called Handlebar Hellions.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Mine is pretty consistent with my hair, a mix of brown and grey.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Product reviews would be great.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife has been very supportive, even working with me in our new line of wax. She was unsure at first, but came to like it.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a professional, certified translator. I think it adds to the studious look of a man of letters…
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Still exploring that area…
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I’ve had no problem eating, but drinking has been a challenge at times. When I first started, I used a hair product in my stache for hold and I could taste the perfume any time water went through my ‘stache. Never considered getting rid of it. Just changed products.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
My horseshoe stache in 2013 was styled with spikes down each side for my wrestler persona.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I do natural, traditional curled handlebar (my preferred style), and occasional English style.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Ottawa, Canada – 54