Handlebar Moustache Survey by Devin in Japan
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve grown a few mustaches before but always kept them short and neat, 3 months ago I decided to attempt a handlebar and I’ve been able to curl the ends for about a month now, I don’t see myself ever going back, it’s the best thing I’ve ever had on my face!
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I don’t have much facial hair in my family but I tried an app on my phone that let me see what I’d look like with different facial hair and the handlebar mustache was my favorite look.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Click to ENLARGE
My close friends ask how much longer I’m planning on letting it grow, I always answer “till it reaches my eyebrows”
Other than that people ask if it’s fake and if they can touch it…
My girlfriend keeps saying she wants to cut off the ends in my sleep, which really made me worried about dating her at first.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
You look like Colonel Sanders
Hello Captain Morgan
You look like a king (the king on a deck of cards has a mustache sometimes! I didn’t even realize before)
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Looking in the mirror is more fun now. I don’t think I used to look in the mirror so often. Also I feel like I’m always smiling
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve always been curious to see just how much facial hair I could grow but I never got past the itchy phase, this last time I just muscled through it
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Nope but I’m thinking about starting.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I’m not wearing it for them; I’m wearing it for me
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve only tried wax up till now but I want to experiment with some other stuff, I can get some stray hairs no matter how much wax I use so I don’t think it’s the best, but I have limited experience
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It makes him a man
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Click to ENLARGE
If I had to cut the ends off just for a job or something I’d try to grow them back as quickly as possible, I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t let it grow out again unless my job didn’t allow it
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Not yet, my girlfriend says I don’t need any of that stuff since I have an actual mustache
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My head hair is naturally dark brown but my mustache is a light brown, maybe it’s a combination of dark hairs and red hairs which makes it look light brown, I didn’t used to like its color until I dyed my head hair, I lightened it up and now my mustache is darker than my head hair which I prefer
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
More grooming advice and product reviews.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My girlfriend hasn’t really come around 100% yet on the mustache but I’m still working on it! It doesn’t affect kissing too much, it probably affects my eating more than my kissing.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I teach English in Japan, it’s always a good conversation starter
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Since I started waxing it I notice it a lot less while eating, I still do a lot of wiping though to keep it clean
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Not yet but I’m thinking of a pirate costume maybe since Halloween is coming up
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like curling the ends and I don’t mind it getting a little messy, sometimes I wax it at night and leave it alone the next morning and wear it that way all day
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Japan 26 years old