Handlebar Moustache Survey by Davidordarkly of the UK
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had my moustache for nearly two years now. It’s my second handlebar, the first one never reached its potential and met the plug hole after a year.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
My Dad always had a moustache during my childhood, albeit not a handlebar. I suppose that has a lot to do with it.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Click to ENLARGE
The reactions from others to the Handlebar are one of its positives, I love seeing how different people feel about it, I’ve had plenty of people burst out laughing, compliments from all types of people, conversations started, and people staring like they are witnessing a public sexual act. A great deal of pleasure comes from these reactions!
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I haven’t had any strange comments unfortunately. I have had so many people make comments on it since I’ve had it, they are mainly complimentary.
A few favourites are “Good stachage”
“Where’s the Spitfire?”
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Absolutely, it has lended me a great deal of confidence.
It hasn’t changed my attitude, it has made me less interested in what others think, it has become clear that not everyone likes it and that’s fine, it doesn’t bother me to hear the negative comments now whereas before I might have been.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Nothing in my personality swayed the decision into growing one but aspects of it have nurtured it’s being.
Individualism, breaking the norm, not fitting in. Selfishness, Vanity.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have attended one, I placed second out of four in the category.
It was a fun event based on the friendliness and spirit of joint interests.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I’d say what’s wrong with your eyeballs, this is awesome.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I very rarely wax, I mainly use Lanolin, particularly Lansinoh which is intended for soothing breastfeeding mother’s chapped nips.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It distinguishes him as someone who knows what he wants, who does what he wants without asking permission and doesn’t give a damn about the consequences.
It is the single most recognised image which signifies male.
My double D’s do cause some confusion though.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m very attached, it is something I didn’t anticipate happening on the outset. It has enriched my life so much, being ordinary now frightens me!
I have had numerous dreams where someone has cut it off and I have woke up terrified it was true!
If you were to offer me money to shave it, it would need to be four figures!
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I actually despise all the tat aimed at the Moustache image of late, it’s so tasteless.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I like to visit the Handlebar club and the Handlebar Hellions on Facebook are a good bunch.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It appears darker as it is courser hair. There are a few hairs of mixed colour and an albino in there somewhere too.
I wouldn’t dream of dying it.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Plenty of fantastic moustaches that I can aspire to.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It has made Kissing a real problem, it’s awkward. Luckily I am married so I can get away with an affectionate pat on the shoulder!
My wife actually hates my moustache, she is probably dreaming of me with a boring bald upper lip.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I don’t work in the public eye, I work in a factory. My coworkers seem to like it.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Strangely yes, I can now reach a urinal from about 12ft away.
I can see through brick walls and always remember birthdays and telephone numbers since having it.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I now cut my toast into Soldiers and eat burgers upside down.
Food is not important enough to warrant cutting it off!
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Traditional handlebar style, natural mainly. Large upswept curls.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
I’m 34 from UK