Handlebar Moustache Survey by David of Southampton, UK
David Southampton UK
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Had moustaches on and off in the 80’s. Was clean shaven, now had beard/ moustache for the last couple of years
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Just seemed like an easy way to look cool, and suits a more mature face
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Mostly positive. Other men like it; ladies seem to
Click to ENLARGE
find it appealing
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
People used to think I looked like Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad. I never thought I looked like him. But now people just think I look eccentric, which I like.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Has made me feel more confident
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
A need to stand out from the crowd and look cool, especially as I get older.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Give a go, I’ve had no negative comments, only appreciation.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Still experimenting, I use Percy Nobleman Moustache wax, which is available here in the UK, but am thinking about trying glues instead.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Look more masculine, like an “Edwardian gentleman”
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
If someone said it was wrong, I would consider getting rid of it, but there would have to be a very good reason. At least I can grow it again if wanted.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Matches, with a few greys slightly more ginger than my head hair as is my beard also, never been coloured.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Gallery of course
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I’ve had no complaints, but I try to keep it out my/their mouths.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I manger Retail IT systems for a major UK department store. One other person has a handlebar at work. Only had one negative comment, from a young guy, but he has now seen how the male models in the in-store publicity often have styled moustaches, and therefore it must be a cool look after all.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Not so far.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Still trying to deal with eating. I think you just have to chow down and deal with the aftermath.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Did a Pirate, a la Johnny Depp for a fancy dress party. Wove in some beads.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
English, occasionally without the curls.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Southampton UK aged 54