Handlebar Moustache Survey by David of Monterrey, Mexico
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
About eight months. I always wanted a nice moustache but thought I couldn’t grow one. I have Chinese ascent and frankly we are not known for decent facial hair.
My facial hair grows slower than it does for non Asians. I had tried several times before to grow one but gave up always after 3 weeks. Turns out I needed 6 weeks for it to start looking decent and thick enough. What a pleasant surprise. So I let it grow longer and longer until I realized that it would look better if I did a handlebar that having it grow droopy.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
Handlebar moustaches are so distinctive and elegant. They make you look more confident.
Nobody in my family has a moustache or any facial hair at all, which reinforced my impression that I would never be able to grow one. Now I really stand out in my family and one cousin complimented me and said he wished he could grow one
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My family has gotten used to it and make no comments. Some of my friends are surprised and call me “bigotón” (which in Spanish means big moustache man) which is really weird considering I thought I would never be able to grow a moustache, much less a handlebar.
But strangers make a lot of compliments about my handlebar, about 3 per day. Women love it and guys stop me and ask me how I got the curls on the handlebar.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
They called me “Zapata” which in Mexico is one of our Revolution heroes along with Pancho Villa.
But sometimes they call me “Salvador Dalí” like the Spanish painter, who used to make thin curls of the ends…..I really dislike when they call me Dalí. I prefer it to look thick like Zapata`s.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I feel happier with myself and it guarantees that I always stand out and remembered by people.
In a meeting with one of the top executives of my company she said that she had never seen a moustache that long and was impressed by it.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I am a Chinese that was born and raised in Mexico and I always loved my culture and embraced it. Moustaches are very typical in Mexico.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I ignore them, I am too happy with my handlebar to even care about negative comments. And quite frankly, the daily compliments I get outnumber the bad comments
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use moustache oil daily but curl it withe gel most of the time. Not a fan of wax.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It makes him more confident and elevates his morale because it makes him stand out from the crowd. Looks elegant and fun.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
The very thought is scary and unpleasant.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
This one is the best I have seen
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
I have some white hairs in it but I am happy with it. I like its color and would not dye it
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I think the site is great the way it is
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It has not interfered with it and it makes kissing more fun
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a journalist and since people I work with have gotten used to it they don’t comment anymore
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I feel really good about myself. I have never been happier with the way I look
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Eating BBQ ribs can be a problem. So I carry extra napkins. Sometimes if I bit a sandwich I will also bite my moustache. But I would rather bite my moustache than not having one at all
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like a half or three quarters of a circle at its ends.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Monterrey, Mexico, 42 years old