Handlebar Moustache Survey by Dave Miller
Introducing Dave Miller!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
4 months. This is my first attempt at growing a lip lawn. Have had a goatee for years just thought it was time to give him a companion!!
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I have always liked the historical look of an HB. Nobody in my family has ever had one, making me the first.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
The public loves it, kids want to touch it and others want to take pictures with it. Initially my wife disliked it but I think it’s growing on her. Her requests to shave it are few and far between now days. I even got her to comb it the other day.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
One of my employees has a 2 year old daughter who he brought in to work recently and when she saw me she started crying. Come to find out facial hair scares her, so the next time she came in several months later I covered it with my hand and she smiled, then I moved my hand and she started balling. It was hilarious. Everybody was laughing….except her.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
You definitely walk with a different feel. People are intrigued by it. You feel proud to wear it and by that able to put smiles on people’s faces.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I have always been into extreme sports and doing things others were hesitant to do. So the HB fits right in for me.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I did compete in a moustache and beard competition at Calico days. At the time I only had a 6″ goatee, came in 2nd. The winner had a full HB. So from that day on I knew I was going to grow one.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Everyone has a right to their opinion but to think someone looks stupid with it is their issue not mine.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have a fairly thick one so I need a firm wax. I use Firehouse natural, I tried clubman but for my particular stache it did not work well.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It definitely gives you a unique look, and separates you from every other man.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I would be difficult for me to remove the HB. The only reason I can think of would be for a charity.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
Only a vintage folding comb. But I’m going to get some HB socks for the wife.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Handlebar moustache club UK
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
I have some real color issues from my Irish heritage. Here is the color rainbow. Head – brown, moustache and goatee – blond, rest of the beard – reddish. Totally true. People often ask me if I bleach my HB, some don’t believe me when I say these colors are natural.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Bad morning stache, and stache gone bad like funny moments deriving from the HB
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Kissing was an issue for a while with the wife, but it’s better now.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a sales manager for a lumberyard so it kind of fits right into a lumberjack lifestyle.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Yes, my powers of negotiation are phenomenal!!!!
19. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Dana Point Ca. 43 years of age
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
“Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?” Yes, I often end up biting it while eating, very frustrating. You get used to it but it takes a while.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
You may enjoy these related posts: