Handlebar Moustache Survey by Danny of Chattanooga
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a moustache since high school, about 3 years ago I started to let it grow! I can’t grow any hair on my head, and I wanted to make myself a li’l different from everybody else!
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
My family is all clean shaven, when my brother first saw it, he told me I look ridiculous! The rebel in me took that as encouragement to keep it growing!
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Click to ENLARGE
A lot of positive reinforcement—except for my brother, but, I think he is just jealous! Being a widower, I don’t have anyone to complain about it!
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Young kids love it, some little children look at me and cower away!! I like going out and catching people looking at me! Occasionally I’ll reach up and give the curls a little tug!
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It’s definitely improved my self esteem, and my vanity!
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I just want to be different, at first I was kinda turned of by the “hipster” connotation but I really don’t care what people think. I like it!
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I went to one last summer at a local club, was really hoping to find others with an epic stache and learn from them. Unfortunately, I had the best stache at the club! It felt kinda cool answering questions on what products I use!
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I just blow them off!! If they don’t like it, fuk ‘em! I get a lot of compliments on it!
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use Firehouse Wacky Tacky. It has a strong hold, and keeps the cools during the hot humid summers of the Old South. I like the idea that Firehouse donates a percentage of their profits to animal shelters! I use Sweet Almond oil or Pistachio oil to break down the wax for cleaning. On the days I don’t use wax, I usually have lanolin in it
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
We stand out in a crowd!
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
It’s not going any where.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I get a lot of gifts in the shape of a handlebar: mugs, mints, cork screws, t-shirts, hoodies, socks.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Well, I don’t have much hair on my head, so….
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I’m just an ole guy with a big ‘stache……have not dated in years
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
It’s so hard to eat a lot of things! Whenever I dine out, I make sure to have it waxed out of my mouth! One of my worst experiences was walking the beach on a hot day, and I walked through a swarm of gnats……yep, they stuck to the wax, my brother almost fell over laughing so hard!!
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I do a handlebar most of the time, occasionally I’ll sport an imperial, depending on my mood, and how much effort I want to put into it!
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Chattanooga, TN 59 years young