Handlebar Moustache Survey by Danielbar Moustache
Please welcome “Danielbar Moustache”
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had my handlbar moustache for about 2 and a half years. I’ve always like facial hair, but I’m not very gifted when it comes to density, so I’m rather insecure about my own growth. I’ve sported a standard goatee on and off since my early 20’s.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Truthfully, I started to notice the celebration of Cinco de Moustache, and thought, that looks like fun, but I couldn’t grow one quick enough. I started doing unusual things for my driver’s license photos (because whoever really likes theirs?) so I started 6 months in advance to grow a handlebar moustache. The original plan was to glue it altogether and try to trim it off from the backside and preserve it in a shadow box for a lark but the day came and went, but I didn’t have the heart to shave it off afterwards.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My family and my best friend hated it, even acted disgusted. I had to agree the growing out process was visually gruesome when it came to eating, and I had to take to drinking draft beers with a straw for a period. They understood the vision, and enjoyed the driver’s license angle, but they all counted the days until the photo so they could see it off.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
People ask if it curls like that on its own, and when I tell them it doesn’t I have to explain the morning routine. It gets big smiles from strangers and I’m asked to pose for a photo about every so often. This last Christmas, I wore an elf hat to breakfast, and a little girl got super excited, grabbed her father coat sleeve, pointed and whispered very loudly “LOOK DADDY! a REAL elf!!”, I’ll use a picture of me in that hat for this survey
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I tend to be very shy in public, so this was a daring move, I now have no ability to blend in, I’m out there for all the world to see, at all times. My fears seem to be for nothing, because people are very amused with it, it generally elicits smiles, but if it makes someone laugh, with me or at me, it’s still worth it because laughter is a great thing.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’m an artist, so I’ve always enjoyed playing with looks, hats, quirky accessories, etc… But I try to be sensitive to my surroundings, because of my shyness, this one made me nervous, “the accessory” I couldn’t leave at home.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I’ve been invited, but my scheduling has not permitted it yet.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I defer to the driver’s license photo story, and it disarms the worst critics, because they’re highly entertained with that concept, then they respect my endurance.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve been using Clubman wax because it’s inexpensive, and relatively easy to work with. A coworker asked “why don’t you try glue” and I was horrified at the idea and then I found a video of you on YouTube singing the praises of glue sticks…OMG what a game changer, I can’t thank you enough. It’s cheap, travels easy, and possesses superior hold to any wax based product. I’m interested in trying some other products but I’m pretty confident anything wax based will behave the same as any other, the changes will all be in scent and packaging.
8. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think it says something for standing apart in a crowd, there is an element of care and grooming, even if the rest of you is disheveled or unkempt that day. It’s not like a bad hair day, when you can just throw a hat on it.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m very attached…literally, but also emotionally, it’s almost like an adorable pet and I enjoy the new attention it garners. The only thing that will get me to shave it off will be when I feel like the time has come, for circumstances that I have not yet imagined.
9. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I’ve been getting moustache themed gifts from friends, but nothing I’ve picked out for myself. Why do I need a cheesy knick-knack when I have the REAL thing, right here under my nose?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I can’t say I’ve done much digging around, I ‘m afraid I’d get intimidated by truly epic ‘staches and I’d start to worry that mine wasn’t good enough. I’ve only started to explore very recently.
10. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My moustache matches my hair perfectly, dark base, with salt and pepper accent. There are a good number or uncharacteristic reds in there which confuse me greatly.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I haven’t explored it yet, I JUST found it and was immediately intrigued to fill out the survey, I recognized you immediately as my “glue guy from You Tube”.
11. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I’m in a long term relationship, and my quirks and experiments have always been a non-issue.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work primarily in a factory, and again, it was not unusual for me to try out vastly different looks. My coworkers have grown a fondness for the ‘stache and they get upset if I joke about removing it. My boss is hard to read, but where I work they make (Victorian) period doll figurines, I like to tell visitors that when you work there long enough you start to turn into one of the dolls.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Sorry, but I don’t want to compromise my secret identity.
12. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
YES!!!! My partner is still disgusted whenever the slightest crumb or whatever contaminates my ‘stache, it’s a bane of moustache life. It was worse when I used to trim the middle/over lip part which remained prickly, I’ve grown it all out since, and styling those hairs INTO the handlebars has made a huge improvement to eating/drinking issues. I mentioned above, frothy beverages (beer foam, lattes, etc..) were easily solved with straws but it looked ridiculous. You gotta do what you gotta do.
13. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I played around with a Yukon Cornelius styled zig-zag a few times, I have a great trick for achieving it with a Starbucks coffee stir stick and some hair clips. I need to refine it a little better.
14. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well.
I think you’ve covered it all, my minds a blank at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll come up with something after I explore the site more thoroughly.
15. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Telford, Pa. 41yrs old.
You may enjoy these related posts: