Handlebar Moustache Survey by Chris in CA
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I grow my mustache out about twice a year. November (for Movember) and usually during the summer months while I am not teaching. I have been doing this for the last five years.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Movember was the origin of my mustache. I was coaxed into it by a friend of mine that did it every year to promote men’s health. I decided to give it a shot, and that was the first time I actually realized that my mustache grew in much better than the rest of my facial hair. I have been doing it every year since.
Click to ENLARGE
My grandfather had a mustache, outside of that there are very few relatives of mine that are even able to begin any kind mustache.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
It is a love/hate relationship. You either love it or hate it. Although I often get comments that the mustache ‘suits’ me.
My girlfriend doesn’t mind it although she prefers a goatee on me, but I am not a fan of the goatee personally.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Weirdest comment I have received (At a drunken Shakespeare play)…
“Look at this mustache! I’d like to attach little pedals to your balls and hold onto your mustache and ride you around like a little bicycle!”
Never had another comment that even came close to being as weird.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It hasn’t changed the way I have thought about myself, but I definitely to have a lot more conversations started with a question about my mustache.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I look like I’m twelve without facial hair. That and not all men have the confidence to wear a mustache. Beards and goatees are commonplace; a mustache takes a different kind of man.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No I have not yet.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Although it does look better on some men that others I would say who cares what other people think about it. The only person you should be worried about is yourself.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have tried many different waxes some better than others obviously, but it is all preference. I use a conditioner at night and “Mustache Pete’s” wax during the day. It was a gift from a friend. I have the “Grandpa’s Blend” currently which smells like your grandpa’s tobacco pipe.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Shaving it off doesn’t bother me too much but I always plan on growing back at some point.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Yes, mainly in support of the Movember cause.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Exactly the same color as the hair on my head, however I do get a few bright orange hairs throughout my facial hair (Irish roots). I have never attempted to dye my facial hair.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Not at all. Maybe in the positive. It seems to intrigue many women.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work for an architecture firm so everyone in my profession is already a little more ‘weird’ that your average joe. It is pretty widely accepted. My boss probably dislikes it the most but doesn’t complain because it is well maintained.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
That is probably the most problematic part of have a mustache, especially for foods like messy sandwiches. I have tried to order more ‘mustache friendly’ foods or just not worry about it and clean up my mustache post-meal.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Not for Halloween but I have done some ‘other’ styling for fun, such as a Fu man Chu ‘look’
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I wear it a variety of similar ways. Lightly waxed for a bushier look, heavily waxed and curled for a more ‘old school’ look, sometimes highly curled, and sometimes more straight. This usually depends on the occasion.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?