Handlebar Moustache Survey by Chris F of Hillsborough, North Carolina
Thanks Chris! Looking good!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I started my handlebar four years ago. I had never grown any facial hair before it.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I went to a hat store with my girl. I said I wanted a top hat. My girls says “You have to have a handlebar moustache or something to pull off a top hat.” I chose a different hat. We left the store and walking towards us was a man in a top hat with a handlebar. I told my sister later that evening about the coincidence and she challenged me, If you grow a handlebar I’ll buy you a top hat. I did, and she did. I loved the reactions I got from people so I decided to keep it.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My girl has been encouraging from the start. Of course, she is pretty great in general. My colleagues at work were the most critical, but I’ve always been a bit of an odd duck at work so I didn’t pay too much attention to that. I don’t think my family likes it, but they know how I am so they don’t say anything.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
The best reaction I got to my handlebar is when I went into a gas station in Maryland. The two Pakistani employees were staring at me with huge smiles. When I got to the register they told me that they were from a region called Punjab and that handlebars are very common there. They were reminded of home.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I’ve always felt myself out of step with much of the world around me. Now I wear that quirkiness on my face.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I am drawn to the unusual. I have an unusual job. Considering where I am from I live an unusual life. I have unusual facial hair.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Fullsteam brewery, in Durham North Carolina (excellent beer by the way) had a Movember fund raiser. I won the mustache contest there.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I get some looks that I would call disapproving, but almost never does anyone say anything. I get far more compliments than criticism. An elderly woman told me once that she would never kiss me because of my handlebar. I told her that she never had to.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
When I first got some length going I tried a few different waxes. I settled on Firehouse dark. It’s a good balance of easy to apply, good hold and a pleasant, not too strong smell.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It makes a man stand out. It is a manly look, but it shows that you don’t take life too seriously.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I have an unusual dilemma regarding the shape of my handlebar. I am a sign language interpreter. Some of my clients have to be able to read my lips. They must be unobstructed. For that reason I wax my whiskers up and away from my lips and try not to be in a position where I am being lit exclusively from above.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have gotten some moustache gifts, but I haven’t shopped for them much myself.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Aside from this one?
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I haven’t explored the site much yet. I am hoping to read tips on trimming and to see examples of various shapes people wear them in.
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share?
I will email you a photo.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
It hasn’t. My girl has been nothing but encouraging. It sometimes can get in the way a bit, but I think that it enhances far more than in inhibits.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
A bartender gave me a free beer once because he was impressed by my handlebar. Does that count?
19. Would you share your location?
I live in beautiful, historic Hillsborough North Carolina.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
I wonder if people get their handlebars trimmed at the barber? I would like to see a directory of barbers familiar with maintaining classic moustaches.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
I have a tin of wax full of glitter for special occasions.
You may enjoy these related posts: