Handlebar Moustache Survey by Casey of Oakland, CA
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had a moustache for 3 years now. For the first year, I trimmed the middle hairs, so the curls were pretty thin, and I really didn’t know what I was doing. My current moustache is about a year old. I have not trimmed it at all, in over 8 months.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
I do not know of any family members having a handlebar moustache. I originally had a long goatee, since I first started growing facial hair. One day I realized my stache was long enough to curl. I cut my beard, and been rocking the stache since.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Well, most people like it. My family, girlfriend, and friends. Originally my girlfriend hated my goatee, so when I started with the stache she was satisfied since it is less scratchy. (Mainly because I take care of my moustache. I didn’t know how to properly take care of my beard at the time.)
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
“Wow that’s majestic!” or the most common in my area “ROLLIE FINGERS!!!!!!!!” since I live near Oakland, Ca.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, and sense of self?
Yes, I feel more confident about my appearance now. I also like how it is a conversation starter. I am not the most outgoing person at first, before you get to know me. It’s sort of an icebreaker for me.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve always liked facial hair. My dad has had a moustache my entire life, but he has never actually grown it out though. I always knew I’d do something crazy with my facial hair, before it even grew on me.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Yes, MBSC Sacramento #4. I placed 2nd in natural moustache category.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I’ve had a guy say to me once “You are a fool for having that.” I simply smiled and kept on with my business. The fact is, he is a fool for judging someone he doesn’t know. I could care less if he likes my moustache or not. I like it, and that’s what matters to me.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
My favorite wax is Dubs stache cream firm hold. I also use hairspray sometimes. More often I just do natural styling, spray bottle of water, and a hairdryer to shape it. I like the natural look. I just wish my middle hairs were a bit fuller. That will come in time.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Well it catches my food and beer that’s for sure! Hahaha. But really I think it’s just a way to show your individuality. Just like head hairstyles.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I would not even consider shaving it off at this point. I am very attached to it. My moustache is the reason I wake up in the morning. I love starting off my day styling my stache. Ever since I have had it, my mornings are a whole lot happier, which makes my overall happiness better. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Lol yes. I have quite a few shirts, and glasses, and even lanyards now. Most were gifts, but if I had seen them on my own, I would have bought them anyways!
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
www.Hirsuteforhappiness.com is my go to site for any moustache knowledge. And now this site also. I found this thru his page.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My head hair is more of a dirty blond/brown. My stache is more blond/red. My Irish roots come out in my stache. I like it. I have never dyed it, but I have thought about it.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
So far it has everything I would ask for.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
In the morning it interferes with my kissing (before I style it.) She just simply moves it out of the way. It doesn’t hold us back. I usually avoid a full middle hairs style, because it interferes with my eating, and kissing. So it’s usually out of the way.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Well… I manage an adult store. Most people think that’s interesting enough, so the moustache is usually not even mentioned because the job gets more interest. Any guy can (attempt to…) grow out a moustache, but not everyone can work at a porn shop. My boss likes it; he tried to grow one out after he first saw mine. He couldn’t handle it lol.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Quite a few, it can mesmerize some people, it can gross out very few, and it can also give me the power of confidence, which is something I was lacking before.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Before Mr. Hirsute posted his videos on eating, I had trouble. I would avoid ribs, and certain burgers, and certain pizzas. But now, I know how to style it better, and I also know how to avoid eating the hairs. The secret is mainly show your teeth more, cause that pushes your top lip upwards, and sending your hairs upwards and out of the way.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Yes, but I haven’t gone out in public like that yet. I haven’t found the “silly” style of my liking yet. I need more length for the ideas I have.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I do my moustache different every day. I used to do full circles most of the time. My favorite style is natural handlebars, but lately it’s been a bit too windy in my area to do this every day.
- Would you share your location and / or your age? I live in Martinez, California. I am currently 26 years old.