Handlebar Moustache Survey by Ben P. of Nebraska
Thank you Ben for your great answers.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Handlebar 1 1/2 years. Prior I sported a Marine Corps regulation cookie duster, except while on deployment when I grew the tips long and used my unwashed man-funk to add a slight curl. When you only get to shower once a week you have to distract everyone from your smell.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
My wife like me with a trimmed moustache, so I surmised that a full handlebar would lead to more sexual favours. Also it fits my persona well.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache?
Questions ranged from “do you enjoy eating your hair?” to “do you often claim land in the name of Spain?” Until the handlebar established a real curl I was mostly ignored.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
See previous question. Also, the local hipsters demand I present them with a complete history of my moustache and refer to it as Co. Tiberius Chunderhaven when speaking of it.
5. I’ve found that having an handlebar moustache has had various effects on my personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression and so forth. Has having an handlebar moustache brought out changes in your self-expression, sense of self, behavior?
I no longer eat large sandwiches. So I take in fewer carbs from bread. However I have replaced said carb intake with beer. I also smile with my eyes more to avoid wild hairs springing from the waxed ends.
6. Many men with handlebar moustaches comment that they see themselves as non-conformists in some way, or as individualistic. Do you feel there is something like this in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache, or do you just like the look?
I think the handlebar was my natural progression from an over-confident and cocksure military man to a careful decision maker that values the process of decision making and understanding over instant gratification. I am now careful to consider information over ideology and take great care when considering each step. It is a Kung-Fu all of its own.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
2010 – Jakes Whiskey and Cigar Moustache Contest – Omaha, NE. I won 3rd place and a bottle of Spanish beer.
8. If you grew your handlebar moustache while in a relationship, what sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
What smells like malts and bacon? The wife likes it, because it sets me apart from her teacher-friends’ weeny husbands.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Firehouse Tacky Wax.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It is both a modern aid that makes you memorable and a hail from a bygone age of masculine definition.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
An occupational requirement might make me cut it off. I have a family and mortgage that comes first. But otherwise threats of violence wouldn’t budge it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look. I have a shirt from a moustache contest. I plan on getting a moustache-mug and snoog.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Just the various international clubs. Also Modern Drunkard and the various British Gentleman type sites are good.
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Guides, life-style references like complimentary clothing and bands.
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share?
I can e-mail you a picture.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
It requires you to slow down and consider things like smell more. If you don’t grow out the middle you’re left with a wire brush to contend with.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
The power to lead men without ever saying a word.
19. Would you share your location?
Omaha, NE, USA
20. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Thanks for sharing with us, Ben.
You may enjoy these related posts: