Handlebar Moustache Survey by Alex J.
Introducing Alex J.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?:
I have been growing my beard and moustache for 30 months now. I originally had a moustache about 4 years ago for about two months before I decided to release it into the wild.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?:
Many of my ancestors from Scotland/Germany had some type of moustache or facial hair.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?:
I decided to grow my beard when my father passed away from cancer. I will not shave ever again until a pain free cure of cancer is found. I do not have a significant other at the moment.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?:
I have heard many compliments, usually “Great stache”, “love your moustache” and “Nice moustache”. The oddest one I have heard so far is “Poke any eyes out today?”.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?:
Having full facial hair proves that you are a MAN.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?:
Always being an individual in every aspect made me stick with it.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?:
2012 Mr. Furface in Alaska (Brown Bear, Honey Bear; no place in either.)
2012 National Beard and Moustache Championships in Las Vegas (Full Beard Styled Moustache; no place or points)
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?:
“As least I look like MAN and not a bare faced idiot!”… Is what I want to say! I usually just laugh at them in turn if they say anything negative regarding my facial hair.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?:
Firehouse Moustache Wax is the first choice. I met a guy from Oregon at the 2012 Nationals who gave me some of his homemade product which was great as well but it was not for sale
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?:
Proves his independence, individuality and intelligence above the clean shaven fools.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?:
How much money does Oprah have? At least triple that.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?:
I have an Austin Facial Hair club shirt, a stainless steel moustache bottle opener, Facial Hair handbook by Jack Passion and got Wolfgang Schneider (World Champion of Natural Moustache from Germany) to autograph a paper for me.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?:
This one of course! Firehouse’s website got some good pics! Also my club’s website, South Central Alaska Beard and Moustache Club.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?:
My dark brown hair does not match the golden moustache. My beard has many colors, including blonde/gold, brown, black and a few blazing red. I never have and never will dye it. My mother told me I have her hair genes so my hair will only get darker as I get older.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?:
Can’t think of anything in particular.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?:
I have been single for almost eleven years so there have been no problems with kissing, many women either love it or hate it.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?:
I work two jobs in retail. Many customers remember me for my facial hair but mainly my moustache. They love it!
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?:
I have the ability to make people listen to me when I speak to them.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?:
I just go with it, I no longer eat spaghetti, though. If it gets messy I’ll just wash it whenever possible. I highly suggest to all who are starting to grow one to USE MOUSTACHE WAX along the bottom so you will not eat hairs while eating a sandwich.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?:
I live on an old farm and usually am a farmer during Halloween and people get a kick out of it. I have tried to freestyle it a few times in privacy but failed.
21. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
Who is the most famous/legendary person with facial hair have you met?
I have met Wolfgang Schneider (natural moustache), Alois Piettl (Full beard natural), Lutz Geise (Fu Manchu) and Gerhardt Knapp (Godfather of Full beard Freestyle); all from Germany. Also Aarne Bielefeldt told me “Keep growing your moustache and you could win English Imperial moustache”.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?:
Amwell, PA. I am almost 28.
You may enjoy these related posts: