Handlebar Moustache Survey by Adrian
Here’s the Moustache of Adrian.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had my handlebar for 13 months now. Before growing the handlebar my only history was keeping a mustache after I had shaved off my winter beard. I never kept any mustache for longer than a week though.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
My fiancé’s cousin had one at the time and I thought that if I were to seriously grow a mustache, I might as well go big and grow a handlebar. Plus growing up in Wisconsin as a Brewers fan, I’ve always looked up to Rollie Fingers so it was a natural fit.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My fiancé was very supportive of me growing the mustache. Early on most people didn’t say a lot because the first couple months of growth didn’t look all that great. By the 3rd and 4th month, it really started looking good and I got a lot of compliments. I didn’t get a lot of negative reaction since most people keep that to themselves but what I noticed from the negative reaction I did get is that the handlebar is very polarizing. People tend to really like it or really hate it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
One of my favorite moments was when I was at a restaurant and I overheard a mom ask her little girl why she was drawing mustaches on all the people in her coloring book. The little girl told her mom that it made them look “classy”. That was pretty cute and funny.
Someone once asked me if I had extensions which was pretty odd.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I don’t think so. I’m a pretty outgoing person as is and the handlebar is a pretty outgoing mustache so it’s a good fit.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
When I get interested in new things, I tend to be very deeply involved in whatever I’m doing. Growing and grooming a handlebar mustache on a daily basis fits that pattern. A handlebar mustache isn’t something you can do half-heartedly.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, I haven’t although numerous people have told me that I should.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I get more compliments on it than negative reactions so I’m fine with it. Plus I like it and that’s really all that matters anyway.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I currently use Clubman Mustache Wax and that has worked great. I recently met John Axford of the Milwaukee Brewers and he told me about a product that he uses so I might switch things up and try something different.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I’m not really sure that it necessarily does anything special for a man except maybe accentuate his existing personality even more.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I don’t think I’m all that attached to it. I am planning on shaving it off before the wedding and I don’t anticipate growing it back right away. I’m sure I’ll grow it back some day but I’m also looking forward to having a break from the mustache.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have a couple of things that I received as presents. I have a beer glass and a Christmas tree ornament.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
This is probably the thing that annoys me the most about my mustache. It is lighter than the rest of my facial hair and the hair on my head. I’ve thought about dying it but I just use the chestnut colored wax instead and that does the trick.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I’ve been pretty impressed with the website.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My fiancé loved me before the mustache, with the mustache and will continue to love me when it’s gone. My mustache hairs grow pretty thick anyway and she prefers it compared to stubble which is very uncomfortable.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work in a hospital and a lot of people like it. Doctors, nurses, and patients have all complimented me on it. I also find that it’s very useful if people need to talk to me about something again and didn’t catch my name the first time. It’s a unique identifier.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I try to avoid putting condiments on food items that are really wide. You are bound to get a lot of sauces, dressings, etc in your mustache if you try to take big bites.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I went as Snidley Whiplash last Halloween and my fiance was Nell.
21. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Madison, WI 32
You may enjoy these related posts: