Handlebar Moustache Survey by Adam Bierton of Brooklyn, NY
Adam Bierton – creator of the Mustache Bottle Opener.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have been growing the handlebar for a little over six months now. Before then I had never even grown out my facial hair… ever.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
The million Mustache March in DC last April in support for the “Stache act” was to be the launch of my latest product “The Mustache Bottle Opener” and I wasn’t going to show up without one!
I grew my beard out for a month straight and shaved it to lip sweater the night before the march.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I haven’t kissed my girlfriend of 5 years since the day I went just stache. 6 months and counting it’s been a struggle to say the least.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
If I had a nickel…
I get “is that thing real!!??” at least once a day, or “can I touch it?” from skeptical admirers and high fives from perfect strangers is a common occurrence.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
In the beginning stages it was awkward and feeling yourself was a hard thing to do but the transformation into true manhood brings feelings of much higher self confidence.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’d have to say if it weren’t for the invention of my product I would probably still be a clean shaven mortal.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have my first competition coming up in October at “Beard Con” in Ohio and will be attending the world championships in Vegas this Movember.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
The people that have negative words are simply jealous and that includes both males and females.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have been a sole supporter of my friend’s Reverend Harrington’s Mustache wax since I started to curl, before then it was amateur hair gels or honey while eating fried chicken.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I’d like to think it demonstrates the size of his balls. Not every man can grow one and in some cultures the size and of a man’s mustache even dictates the stature of women he deserves.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
At this point my girlfriend thinks it’s coming off at the end of November but I have considered taking out an insurance policy on this growth, so it’s not coming off anytime soon.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I eat, breath and sleep mustache, all of our products are available on
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
I made a custom tap handle last year for Movember (How the product was born) and actually didn’t even grow a mustache because I didn’t think I could.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
First time here for some reason, keep up the good work and keep me in tune!
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share?
Feel free to grab any images off my Facebook page “A Creation” soon to be “Mustache Bottle Opener”
I have hundreds of fun images there, or my website
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
My girlfriend is a great supporter and sees all the praise I get for my dedication but still refuses to kiss me.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I consider my mustache “The key to the city.” Women hold the door for ME now and VIP service wherever I go is pretty damn super!
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
How long does it take you to get ready because of your mustache?
An extra 15 mins.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
No but I most certainly will this year… Stay tuned.
You may enjoy these related posts: