Handlebar Moustache Survey by Aaron of Alberta
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I tried a handlebar back in 2000 for a short spell; it eventually went away, though I can’t remember exactly why. Then in late 2013 I had grown my beard and ‘stache out longer for the winter and realized that my tips were at a great length to curl and turns out I was ready for the handlebar once again as the beard eventually disappeared and the handlebar stayed.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
Hair seems to grow more on my face than on my head so sometimes a guy just has to work with what he’s got.
No handlebars in the family.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
“Why!”… a little disbelief, though mostly I have received great compliments.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
A young guy 8-10 years old was walking past me and caught a glimpse of my moustache out of the corner of his eye and stopped mid-stride. He paused, giggled loudly and kept on walking. The wife and I couldn’t help laughing over that one, it was so spontaneous.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Forces me to check a mirror a little more often than I like as it annoys me if it gets outta place through the day.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I just like the look and versatility of it.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I like it. That is really all that matters to me.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use Got 2 B Glued mostly. I have used Clubman’s before, but moustache waxes are not readily available where I’m from.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Keeps him from being mistaken for a woman!
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Very attached, I don’t plan on cutting it off any time soon.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
1 shirt I just happened across.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Moustache is mostly brown with a little red and white mixed in. I think the colouring is fine. No I have not dyed it.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Wife complains that it is too waxy.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Maintenance electrician. Impact? Sparks moustache envy. One coworker accused me of growing the handlebar so that I could get free chicken at KFC.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
The jury is still out on that one.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I keep it above the upper lip as much as I can so it doesn’t interfere too much with eating.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Yes, as in picture. Though I did lack the confidence to wear the scorpion out of the house…at that time. I am currently growing the goatee back out so that the scorpion can maybe show itself outside the house.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Multiple styles: mostly handlebar, sometimes straight out, sometimes part handlebar part straight and sometimes straight out and up at a 30 degree angle. I like the versatility of my moustache.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Alberta, Canada Age:38