Awesome Moustache Survey Answers by Nate the Great
Thanks Nate! You are a champion.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had a handlebar mustache for about 5 months. This is my first attempt at a stand-alone-mustache. I’ve rocked a beard for years but I always trimmed the ‘stache as soon as it started creeping into my mouth.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I work at a coffee shop. It was a Tuesday and it was a Tuesday just like any other Tuesday except that around 8 am a man walked in with a mustache the likes of which I’d never seen before. He couldn’t have been any taller than 5’4” but that mustache made him a giant. I asked him how I could get one and he told me, “it’s easy brother. Just stop trimming, commit to it, and let it go.” I never looked back.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Oh sheesh. I heard every porn star child molester general creeper comment under the moon from random people. It was aggravating at first. That’s such a hardcore thing to tell someone. And it is embarrassing. But I persevered.
My friends were the worst though. They’d say it was hideous or revolting. They’d say they wouldn’t hang out until I shaved it. Haters gonna hate. You have to turn the other cheek, literally, and stick it through.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
As it took shape, meaning as it started to look more handlebar and less “pornbar”, people would freak out. They would go out of their way at restaurants to come over and tell me what an awesome ‘stache I had. Comments ranged from, “BADASS!” to “I could never pull that off! What an amazing mustache!” I’ve had my picture taken by random people. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. I’m going to say, good.
One day at work an older woman probably in her 80s came in to my coffee shop with a giant framed picture. The picture contained snapshots of some of her great grandfathers and uncles that had emigrated from Ireland to the States in the mid 19th century. They all had amazing mustaches. She told me that she had seen me the other day and had gone up to her attic to retrieve the picture just to show me. I was honored.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Dude, it’s like walking around with an M16. It evokes fear, anger, respect, safety, jealousy, and interest in most everyone I come in to contact with. I’m a big guy at 6′ 4” so having a presence was never an issue. But now I walk around with my head held high. It’s become such a huge part of my life. I see it every time I look in the mirror. And I am very self aware because of it. I definitely feel like my mustache has provided me with more self confidence. I say what I think and now I have the courage to back it up.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
My exuberance for life. I’m very outgoing so I think the mustache is just another expression of that character trait. I like to make people happy. I like to enjoy people’s company. The handlebar mustache encourages, promotes, and facilitates those kinds of circumstances.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, but once I hit the year mark I’ll give one a shot.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
“Did you look at yourself this morning?” No, I wouldn’t say that. That’s mean. I have always said, “I’m sorry you feel that way.”
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I don’t prefer the super waxed style for my own ‘stache. I either use a light application of glue stick, Bounder, or leave in conditioner for the body and Bounder’s for the curls. Bounder smells delightful. And I’ve found that once applied it can be combed through after to produce a “feathering” or natural look with minimal clumpage or residue.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It is another expression of his inner self. It is a natural accessory. It is something to show others your level of dedication and commitment to your personal appearance.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m pretty attached. Literally and figuratively. I’ve had to put my foot down a couple times already and tell people that I wouldn’t shave it. Those situations, specifically, were weddings that I’d been asked to participate in. A really really really good job offer (millions of dollars annually) might make me shave it. But right now I don’t want a job paying millions of dollars. I want a handlebar mustache.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
People have given me loads of stuff. Mustache shaped combs, mustache stationary, mustache dog chews, etc. I don’t know where they purchased them.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
The Handlebar Club, World Beard and Moustache Championships, and this one of course.
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
This year will be the first.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
A nice detailed description of all the potential issues that will arise in the maintenance, care, and styling of the handlebar mustache. A lot of that information is already available here if you look for it, but maybe a fast link to it would be useful.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
My life is often comparable to those commercials you see for those terrible smelling body sprays. I’m not even joking.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Absolute validity and soundness in any and all arguments I engage in or opinions I express.
19. Would you share your location?
San Diego, CA
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Have you convinced friends/family to embark on a quest for a handlebar mustache of their own?
My answer: Yes, two of my friends have started their own handlebar mustaches. I have transitioned from apprentice to mentor.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
You may enjoy these related posts: