Handlebar Moustache Survey by Keith of Brooklyn
Nice looking mo there, Keith!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
When I grew a moustache at 18 years old, a neighbor asked if I was trying to grow a moustache. I said, “I’m not trying, I have one!”
I grew a goatee in the early nineties (that’s what you did) and didn’t separate them until 2009. The handlebar came in 2011.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I first grew a moustache in 1983 in order to have a handlebar. It didn’t work.
I remember a really old guy when I was 8 (he was in his 20’s) who was very athletic and he had one. I thought it was really cool. All I remember about him now is that his name was Murphy.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
There was not much reaction when I started the handlebar since I just went shaggy.
My wife likes it very much and tells me that it suits me. She giggled when she realized what I was doing.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
My nickname is slowly becoming Burl Ives. ♫♫♫ Silver and gold…♫♫♫
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I hemmed and hawed for a while. I feel very good that I did it. I’m not myself without it.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
It’s like I’m hiding in plain sight. If someone notices they stare but wearing a mask.
I want to be noticed…but not really.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
But I don’t look odd, silly or stupid with it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I made some homemade wax from beeswax and vaseline and it worked fine. But now I only use got2be glued. It never gives up.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Last year I went to a golf course I hadn’t played before. When I went to the first tee the starter announced, “Now that’s a MAN’s moustache!”
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
It got too long recently and it reallllllllly pissed me off and I went to shave it off. Then I went to take the curls off. Dammit, I couldn’t do it.
Sometimes it gets too long and cartoonish and manageable. I ONLY trim the ends. The rest has to be full.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
My stepson’s girlfriend stole some glasses from a bar because they have handlebars on them but that’s it. Wait…I received a pack of 3 magnetic, sparkly for Christmas and they move around the house. On the clock, on the microwave, holding photos,… etc.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Red hair, red and some white moustache, mostly white and some red beard.
Why do red haired guys need facial hair???
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife loves the moustache and I doesn’t bother her. I hate it because it hangs over my lips.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I operate subway trains in NYC (I’m the guy in the front window) and I see second looks and nudges all day long.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It somehow makes me invisible and noticeable at the same time.
It also makes beer taste better.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I try to avoid big sloppy sandwiches and I tend to cut things up that I normally wouldn’t like apples or ribs. Cutting a hamburger in half make it much more manageable.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I prefer a full moustache. Full through the curl and a point at the ends. I don’t think a thin handlebar suits me. When it gets too long, trim it to a tiny curl, it’ll grow back again.
It’s only hair
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
I am 48 1/2 years old from Brooklyn NY
You may enjoy these related posts: