Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jabes
Jabes is giving us an update after almost a year with his handlebar moustache.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had my handlebar for nearly a year.
I attempted to grow a mustache once when I was in the military. But the military regs just weren’t my style.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
My paternal grandpa has had a handlebar mustache for as long as I can remember. I have always looked up to him, and I decided to carry on a family tradition.
Click to ENLAGE
I get a lot of positive reactions; most people think it is unique and awesome. My spouse was weary of it at first, but she has grown to love it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I have been told that it makes me very memorable.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I think it has made me a little more confident and outgoing.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I want to be different. When I started growing my mustache I didn’t see a lot of handlebars around town. But now that I have a handlebar, I see them everywhere I go, LOL.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I entered the HML photo contest in May. I also traveled up to Spokane, Wa for a contest. But I didn’t win either.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I pay them no mind. I like my stache and that is all that matters. But truthfully, not many people have said anything negative.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I like to use a variety of waxes, depending on how much time I have to get ready, and what style I am going for.
Clubman, and Firehouse are the main waxes I use.
I also use hairspray, and Got2b pomade.
I really want to try Man’s Face Stuff.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
The mustache itself does nothing for a man. But a mustache coupled with a positive attitude can enhance a man’s confidence, and personality.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I am very attached. Considering my financial position, if the need for a new job ever required me to remove it, I obviously would. But, I would definitely grow it back as soon as possible. It’s a family tradition after all.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have a couple coffee mugs, a teddy bear, a USB port, magnets, a binder, and a wallpaper on my smartphone.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
Check out “JB’s stache” on Facebook.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My mustache is mostly red; I believe there are a few blonde hairs as well. There is a distinct color difference between my head hair and my facial hair. I love the color. I have painted it for sporting events, but I would never dye it.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I think it is good the way it is.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I recently trimmed the middle area due to the fact that is was getting in our mouths when we kissed,
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work in a parking garage. Most people I come in contact with tend to be more friendly to me than with others. I get “cool stache” shout outs all the time. But I honestly think that my attitude and my positive interactions are what has the most effect on people. People love me because I am extremely friendly, and happy.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
got tired of taking a bite of hair with my hamburger, so I now trim the inner portion. When I first started growing my HB all the websites said “don’t trim the middle,” but my grandpa has trimmed the middle his entire life, and I haven’t noticed that it looks any worse than a full untrimmed HB. The curls are what matters. The extremities don’t get in the way at all, as long as I have them styled.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I styled my stache with hearts for Valentines Day. I even painted them red.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like to do a variety of styles. From Dali, to English, to Hungarian, to freestyle.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?