Handlebar Moustache Survey by Leon of England.
A big hand for Leon and his Marvelous Moustache!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Have almost always had a moustache since as long as I could grow one. It is only fairly recently after a rather long winter growing spell, that I have decided to keep the long moustache and do something with it.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Always a positive comment does bring a well groomed stylish moustache! Maybe I have a good filtering device, but I just don’t hear negative comments.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
The typical questions are “Does it itch?”, “What made ya do it?” and “What have you got in it to make it stay?” (I think they are expecting to hear of something horrid).
Mostly people make comparisons to those who famously sport a top lip masterpiece.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I think not. However, one has to have a certain level of personality to even have any form of moustache art. I think perhaps that we are all a little quirky.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Honestly I don’t hear these negative comments. If someone was hell-bent on forcing a negative comment, then the reply is childish and simple, “I can cut this off, what are you going to do about your face?”
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Have used Mohawk Moustache Wax (original). As my first wax, price was obviously something I was trying to keep down. The product offers some level of hold but suffers from droop with temperature and moisture. Usually reapplication at least once during the day is needed. It can be a bit clumpy with over application, and may require a removal and reapplication. It does remain pliable, so adjustments can be made through the day as necessary.
Pros: Non-toxic, faint aroma, no taste, price.
Cons: Not temperature and moisture resilient, needs additional application through the day, not a strong rigid hold.
I am leaning more toward something which removes the cons of this wax, keeping a solid shape throughout the day and requiring no maintenance, maybe I ask too much.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
It can be annoying because I haven’t had it at this length for very long in all respects. That said, I have just decided to perceiver with it, and let it grow.
It’ll be one of those things for me, like my hair which I grew for 4+ yrs then cut all off, to grow for another 5 yrs or so, to then cut off. One day it just won’t be there, and I’ll start again.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Kent moustache comb
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Pretty much the same colour. Add summer sunlight and both get more blonde with more obvious ginger hairs in the ‘tasche.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Retail, so the general public gets to see a lot of it. It can encourage some customers to wait to be served by the moustache wearer, whilst the opposite could be true for other customers (but I doubt it).
As long as codes of conduct and appearance are met with, there is little any superiors will do or say about it. Health and safety has to be taken seriously, and as long as it is in accordance, there is no problem. Know the rules and know your rights, even if someone else doesn’t.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I’ve always worn my underwear on the outside, I’ve only just found out that isn’t normal. Cest la Vie.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Can be annoying yes. The longer it gets, the more it will hold itself out of the way, and have less natural forced downward spring action, and so be out of the cake-hole area.
Drinking generally isn’t much of an issue as much as eating is. I have a big mouth though.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
When long enough I will have some nice curls, but I am never one for a consistent style. My facial hair is constantly changing, with beard styles changing seasonally for warmth in winter, so a moustache will be little different to that for me. Whatever works for a ‘look’ is what it will be for that given time period.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
You may enjoy these related posts: