Handlebar Moustache Survey by Eric F. of Atlanta
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I guess I’ve had a handlebar for five months now. Two or three times in the past year I entertained the notion of sporting a handlebar, but when I got close to achieving the needed length I’d think of some reason to trim.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I knew a guy a few years ago with a fantastic handlebar ‘stache, and it’s been a goal of mine for some time to grow my own. As far as I know, none of my relatives, past or present, have sported a handlebar.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My girlfriend has been really supportive, and doesn’t seem too troubled by it. My mom isn’t a huge fan, but aside from comments every now and again, she ignores it. My sister thinks it’s stupid, my dad thinks it’s cool, and my friends don’t have a whole lot to say about it. Everyone just accepts it, or chooses to not say anything about it. The Beard Board was also very encouraging.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Honestly, nothing really comes to mind.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I like to think that it’s added a bit of whimsy to my silly facial expressions. I suppose it’s increased my confidence a bit; I know I don’t even think twice anymore about going out and about with a waxed and pointy moustache.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I can be a bit goofy, and I try my best to not care what others think. I’m also pretty patient, which is good, because my moustache grows pretty slowly.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not! I’d definitely consider it, but not for a few years, after my moustache has matured a little more.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I’d want to know why they thought it looked odd, silly, or stupid, and why they felt the need to remark upon it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I don’t wax my moustache frequently (primarily because I need to buy more wax), but I had a little tube of Clubman Moustache Wax (because it was easy to find and immediately available) which I played around with. Hair dryers and combs are useful, but usually I just brush my ‘stache to the side with my fingers and it stays pretty well.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think it’s a challenging experience, growing out your moustache, and it definitely builds character. It also helps strain soup and it’s perfect for storing a sip or two of coffee for later enjoyment.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
If the choice was between leaving it alone, or cutting it and never growing it back, I’d have leave it alone, I think. I like having a larger moustache, and I would not be sad if I never saw my upper lip again.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I’ve got my eye on a bumper sticker or two, and I’d like to get a moustache mug.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
Aside from this site and the handlebar club forum, I don’t know of any moustache-specific websites.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My head hair is very dark brown, but my moustache has a fair amount of black, with increasing numbers of light brown and reddish hairs towards the corners of my mouth. I like it, though I do wish it was a bit darker so it’d show up a bit more. I don’t think I’d dye it, though (unless it was only temporarily for a costume).
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I think it’d be cool, especially for guys who are thinking about growing out their moustache or if they’re worried they can’t, to have pictures of guys before they started growing out their moustache and their handlebars a couple of months later.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I was already in a committed relationship when I started growing out my moustache, and my girlfriend has been nothing but supportive. Aside for a brief period when my ‘stache hairs had a tendency to go up her nose, we haven’t had too many issues. I think it helps that I usually don’t have wax in my moustache, so it’s easy to fix after it gets mussed up.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a barista, and all of my male coworkers have beards (which everyone comments on, when we have shifts together), so our manager just sort of accepts our beardedness as long as we’re tidy and brush out any food crumbs. I’ve had a lot of nice conversations with bearded and mustachioed customers while making their drinks, and received a lot of compliments.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It helps me see my future (I see a much bigger ‘stache and longer curls in the coming years).
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I’ve just gotten used to dealing with mouthfuls of moustache. There’s only so much you can do, especially if you’re not using wax. Just take your time, try to avoid ripping your hair out, and be prepared to spend some time cleaning up afterwards. I regret my love for nachos, ice cream, and New England clam chowder more than I regret growing a handlebar moustache.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
This will be my first Halloween with my moustache, so we’ll see!
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I prefer my moustache to be un-waxed; it curls pretty naturally on its own. When I do wax it, I switch between tight curls and long, thin points.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Do you wish you had grown out your moustache earlier in life?
I don’t think I’d have been nearly as successful if I tried growing my moustache out a year or two ago. I look forward to seeing how it’ll look a few years from now, though!
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
I’m 20, currently living in Atlanta, GA.
You may enjoy these related posts: