Handlebar Moustache Survey by Aaron of Calilfornia
Take a look at Aaron’s awesome moustache!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had my handlebar moustache for about six months. I have zero personal experience/history with moustaches prior to letting to mine grow out for handlebar purposes.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Growing up I was always intrigued by them. They were mysterious to me. I always felt like the person behind the handlebar moustache ‘different'; men after my own heart if you will. I was also going through life changing events, discovering new things about myself, and bettering my life and feelings toward life. I am not aware of any relatives or ancestors with handlebar moustaches.
Click to Enlarge
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I never really received any comments as I was growing out unless someone noticed me twirling the ends in order to train for the curls. People would say things like, ‘preparing for the ‘ol handlebars eh’? Prior to the handlebar moustache I always kept my upper lip bare, but did have a beard which my girlfriend absolutely loved. When I started growing the moustache she became very excited, telling to me hurry and make it grow faster. After about four months of growing it I told her I was going to attempt handlebars, but she didn’t reply so I assumed she wasn’t having such. The next day she came home with a tube of Pinaud-Clubman. I applied and styled and told her to come check it out. She said, “I will now live life vicariously through your handlebar moustache.” She also initiated major physical intimacy and passion.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Of course I’ve been called Colonel Sanders, Captain Morgan, and even V (V from V for Vendetta) I have been called evil, creepy, mysterious, intimidating, appealing, sexy, and then some. Haven’t really heard anything funny yet. A few ladies have said “You have quite the epic moustache sir, may I buy you drink?” I said thank you and politely declined due to being in a committed relationship.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Very much so. It has helped me become more comfortable with being my true self and not worry about what others may think.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve always been one to naturally do things and have interests that ‘most people’ just don’t understand or care about. Such as taste in music and other art forms. All my life I’ve heard that I am a mysterious person. As I mentioned in a previous answer I grew up feeling a sense of mystery when I saw someone with a handlebar moustache…
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not. Not yet.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
If one said I looked odd I would pretty much have to agree considering the definition of the word and how I am usually the only person in the room with a handlebar moustache. As far as silly or stupid goes I’m not really sure what I would say. I guess it just depends on who said it and if they were being rude or just being honest. Negative comments are just part of it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have only tried Pinaud-Clubman. I like it because it does hold up quite well. I can sleep with it in for a night.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It separates him from the masses, which in turn can open many doors and opportunities due to confidence boost. Become alpha perhaps.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I am attached at the roots…I am in love with my handlebar moustache. I would only remove it if for some reason it wouldn’t curl anymore.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have not. Not yet.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
The color is very close to my head hair color. My moustache has blonde strands and light brown strands. I do like the color. I haven’t dyed it, but I used to dye my head hair so I may end up giving such a try.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Styling and trimming guide/tutorial videos. Recommended products with reasons why.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It opened a whole new world of connection, passion, and intimacy with my lady. She said it helped her understand me as well as gave her the realization that some things about me she’ll never understand, which makes her ‘keep coming back for more.’
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Construction/carpentry. Most of the fellas get a kick out of it. ”Its manly.”
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Sadly it does not unless you count the intense positive/negative feelings and reactions in creates from other people.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
The first time I ate in a public setting with the handlebar moustache I had baby back ribs. It was not a pleasant experience. Thank goodness for the moist towlettes for helping me clean as I ate, but in turn it washed softened the wax too much for me. Now I carry a microfiber cloth just in case. Just gently clean as you go. I was indeed tempted to remove the handlebar moustache due to eating woes, but I have learned to manage.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I waxed both ends straight up to my eyeballs once. Haha
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
My preferred style is simply curling both ends toward my mouth. I haven’t tried many other styles yet, but I feel its about time to do so.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?